Thursday 22 July 2010

THE LAST FEW WEEKS
















Last week was trench digging week. We needed to put in automatic drinkers for the new pig paddocks. As 150m of pipe needed to be laid we hired a mini-digger for the job. It took longer than expected, as all jobs seem to, as the ground was rock hard. I left Neil to it in the drizzle as boys like their toys. I also asked him to dig a large whole in the orchard so I could put Smokey's ashes in it. (Smokey was my old horse). I'm sure I said a hole and not a bloomin' crater!


Over the last three weeks we have had 3 alpaca babies born. One girl and two boys. One one pictures is Merlin not long after he had first stood up.
We have 2 more due but not until the end of August.

We have also had a pig population explosion and now have an extra 29 piglets. The pig above is Portia after giving birth to 6 piglets. She ended up with eight and found the whole experience exhausting, not surprising as she gave birth on one of the hottest weekends. She took her time about it as well as it took her 4 hours. Tallulah, our Large Black sow, had the same number in just over an hour, though she is more experienced.

I recently went on a willow course at Rutland Willow which is at Ashwell, so not very far from me. I learnt to make a pheasant, a fish on a rod and a mini hurdle. The pheasant is shown above.
When the willow I planted, earlier in the year, has grown I will be able to make some more or that's the plan anyway.













No comments:

Post a Comment